The nursing industry is booming and, by enrolling now in one of the many outstanding LVN programs in California, you can join this exciting field as a Licensed Vocational Nurse in as little as 12 months.
With employment for vocational nurses projected to grow by 21% through 2018 demand is high for this vital profession, and getting an LVN license will qualify you for jobs in hospitals, physician’s offices, long-term care, home health care and a wide range of other facilities.
If you’ve ever dreamed of working in the health care field, becoming an LVN is a great way to start!
Recommended LVN Programs in California!
The following LVN programs in California are now accepting students. To ensure that you find the program that best meets your particular needs, you encouraged to request information from more than one school.
- Vocational Nursing
- Medical Assisting
- Registered Nursing - LVN to RN
- Why study nursing at Grand Canyon University?
- Our bachelor’s and master’s degrees in nursing are CCNE-accredited, and the College of Nursing and Health Care Professions (CONHCP) is approved by the Arizona State Board of Nursing.
- We provide many options to prepare you to begin or advance your nursing career, including bridge programs & dual degrees.
- GCU provides a low student-to-teacher ratio and a Christian environment that provides an opportunity for you to embrace a holistic approach to caring for patients.
- Request more information today about program offerings, CCNE accreditation, start dates, financial aid & more!
- Doctor of Nursing Practice
Nursing@Simmons, the innovative, online nursing degree program from Simmons School of Nursing and Health Sciences prepares Registered Nurses for the next stage of their careers.
You need to have a Bachelor’s degree and RN license to be qualified for this school.
- MSN - Family Nurse Practitioner
Accredited programs. Proven success.
American Sentinel University is focused on more than just positioning you for success in your career today-we’re committed to preparing you for tomorrow.
- Doctor of Nursing Practice Educational Leadership
- MS Nursing - Case Management
- Medical Assistant
For over 35 years, Keiser University has provided student-centered, quality career education. Keiser University Online offers degree programs online to prepare students for in-demand professions.
- Medical Assisting, AS (Online)
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN)
Capella combines outstanding academics with a supportive faculty and staff in a program designed for working adults.
An education that blends theory and practice to fuel your career
- MSN - Nursing, General (CCNE-accredited)
- MSN - RN-to-MSN Nursing, General (CCNE-accredited)
- MSN - RN-to-MSN Nursing Informatics (CCNE-accredited)
- And more...
At UEI College, we want you to succeed. We’re like a family and we want you to be a part of it. From the moment you enter ourschool, to graduation and beyond, we are right there with you.
- Medical Assistant (8-Month Diploma Program)
What Do I Need to Become an LVN?
In order to become a Licensed Vocational Nurse in California, you must pass the NCLEX-PN, or National Council Licensure Examination for Practical Nurses. This standardized test is made up of 205 questions and requires you to answer a minimum of 85 in order to be eligible for a passing score. The questions are mostly multiple-choice with four answers each, and deal with all of the material that you would study during an LVN program. That said, the best way to prepare for and pass the NCLEX-PN is to, obviously, go through a program at an accredited vocational nursing school.
The LVN Curriculum in California
While studying at one of the state-accredited LVN schools in California, you’ll not only learn the technical and scientific skills required to succeed in the nursing profession, but will also have the opportunity to practice them in the field. The majority of programs allow students to gain hands-on clinical practice with actual patients in hospitals and other settings, in addition to learning about anatomy, physiology, pediatrics and pharmacology in the classroom. And, with almost 200 programs around the state approved by the California Bureau of Vocational Nursing and Psychiatric Technicians, you are almost guaranteed to find a school near you.
What Else Can I Do With an LVN License?
After completing your LVN program and passing the NCLEX-PN, you will receive your California LVN license and be ready to start your career! Working as a Licensed Vocational Nurse can be a fulfilling, life-long occupation or it can be just a step on the path to other positions in the nursing profession including: registered nurse, nurse executive, and nurse practitioner. Moving into one of these other positions is not difficult once you have your license, but it does require additional schooling.
Because many LVNs do decide to eventually transition over to RNs, LVN to RN programs in California are extremely popular and can even be taken entirely online while you’re working! Registered Nurses (RNs) have more responsibility and earn higher salaries than Licensed Vocational Nurses, but their schooling is often expensive and requires two to four years instead of 12 months like an LVNs. For this reason, starting off as an LVN and then taking one of the aforementioned courses when you’re ready to transition is a great strategy for many people.
How to Find LVN Programs in California
Finding the right program can be a little intimidating when you’re first starting out, but it doesn’t have to be difficult. As long as you keep in mind a few simple things, finding the right vocational nursing school can be downright easy. It all starts with asking these basic questions:
• Is the school fully-accredited (this is very important)?
• Can I afford the tuition, and am I eligible for financial aid?
• How long is the LVN program and is there a waiting list?
• Does the school have a good reputation?
• What is the school’s Licensure Examination Pass Rate?
If the answers to these questions are to your liking, then the school is probably a good candidate for you to consider. LVN programs in California come in all shapes and sizes, but the best one for you is the one that can fulfill all of the aforementioned criteria, and get you ready to begin your career in the shortest amount of time possible.