By gaining admittance to one of the accredited LVN to BSN programs in California, Licensed Vocational Nurses have the opportunity to advance their career prospects significantly. Not only does this prestigious degree qualify a vocational nurse to become a Registered Nurse, but it often guarantees that the nurse will be paid at the high end of the scale for RNs as well. Best of all, these popular transition programs can usually be taken online in just four semesters while the LVN is working.
What is a BSN?
The acronym BSN stands for Bachelor of Science in Nursing, and is, for all intents and purposes, the equivalent of a four-year college nursing degree. Individuals who possess a BSN degree typically earn better pay than RNs (in California, BSNs average over $80,000 per year according to www.BLS.gov) have more career opportunities in the nursing field, and hold a greater number of responsibilities (including, in many cases, supervising RNs and LVNs).
LVN to BSN Programs – How to Become a BSN
Regardless of whether you are currently an LVN or an RN, you can become a BSN by enrolling in and successfully completing an LVN to BSN bridge program. Admission requirements for most programs in California require students to be a currently licensed nurse or vocational nurse, have documented proof of at least one year of experience working as an LVN or RN, and be a graduate of an accredited LVN or RN program. Some programs carry additional requirements for letters of recommendation, minimum GPAs in previous coursework, and minimum scores on standardized entry exams.
Coursework in LVN to BSN programs lasts for four semesters (two years), and in California typically focuses on nursing theory and developing the student’s competencies through exposure to the latest research findings and techniques. Most programs also focus a good part of their curriculum on teaching skills that will enable the BSN to play the role of an administrator.
Upon completion of an accredited bridge program, the student is eligible to sit for the NCLEX-RN exam required for licensure as a Registered Nurse.
Online LVN to BSN Programs
Because the vast majority of students who enroll in bridge programs work full-time, it is extremely common for LVN to BSN programs to be offered online. Unlike standard online LVN programs in California, it is possible to complete all of the required coursework in a distance learning format.
Should You Become a BSN?
If you have previously worked in the nursing field as an LVN, you will surely hear conflicting advice on the topic of becoming a BSN. While it is true that your initial salary after earning your degree may not be much higher than an RN’s, over time, you will have the opportunity to advance far more easily than your colleagues who have not completed a BSN. With this advancement, naturally comes greater earning potential – not to mention more opportunity to craft the exact type of career you’ve always wanted.
The decision of whether or not to become a BSN is a personal one, and the added cost and commitment required to pursue a higher degree is not for everyone. You should consider, however, the fact that there is a growing sentiment in the health care industry for making BSN degrees a requirement for all RNs. Whether or not this will come to pass is uncertain, but what is certain is that enrolling today in LVN to BSN programs in California can put you in a great position to excel in professional nursing regardless of what the future holds.
Recommended LVN Programs in California!
As the largest private university in North America, University of Phoenix has locations nationwide, and is available online in most countries around the world. Whether you're seeking a college degree at an associate's, bachelor's, master's, or doctoral level, we can help you reach your academic goal and sooner than you might think.
- Licensed Practical Nurse/ Licensed Vocational Nurse to BSN
- Master of Science in Nursing/Nurse Education
- Master of Health Administration/Master of Business Administration/Project Management
- And more...
Founded in 1766, Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey, is a leading national public research university and the state’s preeminent, comprehensive public institution of higher learning.
Home to more than 58,000 students from all 50 states and 125 different countries, Rutgers’ mission is to prepare students to become productive members of society and good citizens of the world. That’s made possible by a faculty and staff of over 13,000 members, which includes an Abel Prize winner, Guggenheim Fellows, MacArthur “Genius Award” Fellows, Pulitzer Prize winners, and many more.
- Online Bachelor of Science in Nursing
Founded in 1872, Maryville University is a four-year, private university located in west St. Louis County. Maryville University students may choose from 75+ academic programs, including degrees at the bachelor’s, master’s and doctoral levels.
- Online Bachelor of Science in Nursing to Doctor of Nursing Practice (BSN to DNP)-Adult-Gerontology Primary Care Nurse Practitioner (AGPCNP)
- Online Master of Science in Nursing (MSN)
- Online Bachelor of Science in Nursing to Doctor of Nursing Practice (BSN to DNP)-Adult-Gerontology Acute Care Nurse Practitioner (AGACNP)
- Why study nursing at Grand Canyon University?
- Our bachelor’s and master’s degrees in nursing are CCNE-accredited, and the College of Nursing and Health Care Professions (CONHCP) is approved by the Arizona State Board of Nursing.
- We provide many options to prepare you to begin or advance your nursing career, including bridge programs & dual degrees.
- GCU provides a low student-to-teacher ratio and a Christian environment that provides an opportunity for you to embrace a holistic approach to caring for patients.
- Request more information today about program offerings, CCNE accreditation, start dates, financial aid & more!
- Doctor of Nursing Practice
- B.S. in Nursing (Registered Nurse - R.N. to B.S.N)
- M.S. in Nursing: Health Care Informatics (Bridge)
- And more...
- AS - Nursing
Nursing@Simmons, the innovative, online nursing degree program from Simmons School of Nursing and Health Sciences prepares Registered Nurses for the next stage of their careers.
You need to have a Bachelor’s degree and RN license to be qualified for this school.
- MSN - Family Nurse Practitioner
- RN to MSN - Family Nurse Practitioner
Designed with the needs of working adult students in mind, South University, Online Programs is built on the similar curriculum offered at South University's campus locations. As a student at South University, Online Programs you will receive the same quality instruction, variety of learning options and level of service found at the campus locations.
- Doctor of Nurse Practice
- Nurse Educator (PGC)
- Nursing (RN to BSN)
- And more...
Established in 1897, Bradley University is a private, independent institution of higher learning in Peoria, Illinois. Inspired by our founder, notable philanthropist Lydia Moss Bradley, we pursue excellence in teaching, research, scholarship and service; and we celebrate leadership, integrity, diversity and collaborative learning. Today, we offer an impressive array of more than 130 undergraduate, graduate and continuing education programs across five colleges and the Graduate School.
- Online Master of Science in Nursing (BSN to MSN-FNP)
- Online Doctor of Nursing Practice - Family Nurse Practitioner Track (BSN to DNP)
- Online Doctor of Nursing Practice - Leadership Track (MSN to DNP)
- And more...
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN)