By gaining admittance to one of the accredited LVN to BSN programs in California, Licensed Vocational Nurses have the opportunity to advance their career prospects significantly. Not only does this prestigious degree qualify a vocational nurse to become a Registered Nurse, but it often guarantees that the nurse will be paid at the high end of the scale for RNs as well. Best of all, these popular transition programs can usually be taken online in just four semesters while the LVN is working.
What is a BSN?
The acronym BSN stands for Bachelor of Science in Nursing, and is, for all intents and purposes, the equivalent of a four-year college nursing degree. Individuals who possess a BSN degree typically earn better pay than RNs (in California, BSNs average over $80,000 per year according to www.BLS.gov) have more career opportunities in the nursing field, and hold a greater number of responsibilities (including, in many cases, supervising RNs and LVNs).
LVN to BSN Programs – How to Become a BSN
Regardless of whether you are currently an LVN or an RN, you can become a BSN by enrolling in and successfully completing an LVN to BSN bridge program. Admission requirements for most programs in California require students to be a currently licensed nurse or vocational nurse, have documented proof of at least one year of experience working as an LVN or RN, and be a graduate of an accredited LVN or RN program. Some programs carry additional requirements for letters of recommendation, minimum GPAs in previous coursework, and minimum scores on standardized entry exams.
Coursework in LVN to BSN programs lasts for four semesters (two years), and in California typically focuses on nursing theory and developing the student’s competencies through exposure to the latest research findings and techniques. Most programs also focus a good part of their curriculum on teaching skills that will enable the BSN to play the role of an administrator.
Upon completion of an accredited bridge program, the student is eligible to sit for the NCLEX-RN exam required for licensure as a Registered Nurse.
Online LVN to BSN Programs
Because the vast majority of students who enroll in bridge programs work full-time, it is extremely common for LVN to BSN programs to be offered online. Unlike standard online LVN programs in California, it is possible to complete all of the required coursework in a distance learning format.
Should You Become a BSN?
If you have previously worked in the nursing field as an LVN, you will surely hear conflicting advice on the topic of becoming a BSN. While it is true that your initial salary after earning your degree may not be much higher than an RN’s, over time, you will have the opportunity to advance far more easily than your colleagues who have not completed a BSN. With this advancement, naturally comes greater earning potential – not to mention more opportunity to craft the exact type of career you’ve always wanted.
The decision of whether or not to become a BSN is a personal one, and the added cost and commitment required to pursue a higher degree is not for everyone. You should consider, however, the fact that there is a growing sentiment in the health care industry for making BSN degrees a requirement for all RNs. Whether or not this will come to pass is uncertain, but what is certain is that enrolling today in LVN to BSN programs in California can put you in a great position to excel in professional nursing regardless of what the future holds.
Recommended LVN Programs in California!
Capella combines outstanding academics with a supportive faculty and staff in a program designed for working adults.
An education that blends theory and practice to fuel your career
- DNP - BSN-to-DNP (CCNE-accredited)
- MBA - MSN-to-MBA Business Administration
- MSN - Care Coordination (CCNE-accredited)
- And more...
- Passionate about nursing? Further your career by enrolling in GCU's RN to BSN program or Master of Science in Nursing program.
- The CCNE-accredited RN to BSN program is designed for registered nurses with an associate degree or diploma in nursing who are looking to further their education.
- The Master of Science in Nursing degrees are designed for BSN-prepared nurses who wish to broaden their knowledge in a specialty area.
- The College of Nursing and Health Care Professions has been providing outstanding health care education for over 30 years.
- Request more information today about program offerings, CCNE accreditation, start dates, financial aid & more!
- M.S. in Nursing with an Emphasis in Leadership in Health Care Systems (Bridge)
- Doctor of Nursing Practice
- B.S. in Nursing (Registered Nurse - R.N. to B.S.N)
- And more...
- BS - Nursing
Do you want to start working toward a career that actually makes you excited? If so, an education from West Coast University (WCU) could be the perfect choice for you! This accredited, private University has a history that dates back over 100 years. Today, WCU offers health care degrees that will help prepare you and educate you on the current trends and issues within the health industry.
- LVN to BSN
- RN to BSN (Online)
- RN to MSN (Online)
Earn your graduate degree online with Northcentral University. We offer online programs focused on doctoral and master’s degrees in the schools of business and technology management, education, psychology and marriage and family sciences.
- Doctor of Education - Nursing Education
Your educational needs. Our commitment.
At Kaplan College, we create programs with our students’ needs in mind. Our goal is to empower you with the real-world knowledge you need to succeed beyond the classroom. We offer a variety of programs at 28 campuses across 7 states in various degree levels to help train you for entry-level employment in a variety of rewarding careers.
As a recognized leader in higher education since 1920, IWU empowers busy adults to reach their educational goals, advance in their careers, and find their true calling in life, all within a supportive, faith-based environment.
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing
Founded in 1872, Maryville University is a four-year, private university located in west St. Louis County. Maryville University students may choose from 75+ academic programs, including degrees at the bachelor’s, master’s and doctoral levels.
- Online Bachelor of Science in Nursing to Doctor of Nursing Practice (BSN to DNP)-Adult-Gerontology Primary Care Nurse Practitioner (AGPCNP)
- Online Master of Science in Nursing (MSN)
- Online Bachelor of Science in Nursing to Doctor of Nursing Practice (BSN to DNP)-Adult-Gerontology Acute Care Nurse Practitioner (AGACNP)
Designed with the needs of working adult students in mind, South University, Online Programs is built on the similar curriculum offered at South University's campus locations. As a student at South University, Online Programs you will receive the same quality instruction, variety of learning options and level of service found at the campus locations.
- Nurse Educator (PGC)
- Nursing (RN to BSN)
- RN to Master of Science in Nursing with a specialization in Family Nurse Practitioner (RN-MSN)
- And more...
Founded in 1819, the University of Cincinnati (UC) has been categorized at the highest level of higher education: the Carnegie Commission (which evaluates the achievements of faculty, current research, leading edge curriculum, and accreditation) has recognized UC as a Doctoral/Research University — Extensive. Each year, this urban, public, nonprofit university graduates 5,000 students, adding to more than 200,000 living alumni around the world. The online programs connect students to a dynamic community of devoted educators, accessible research, and a dedicated support team.
- Master of Science in Nursing - Adult-Gero Primary Care Nurse Practitioner
- Master of Science in Nursing - Nurse-Midwifery
- Master of Science in Nursing - Womens Health Nurse Practitioner