By gaining admittance to one of the accredited LVN to BSN programs in California, Licensed Vocational Nurses have the opportunity to advance their career prospects significantly. Not only does this prestigious degree qualify a vocational nurse to become a Registered Nurse, but it often guarantees that the nurse will be paid at the high end of the scale for RNs as well. Best of all, these popular transition programs can usually be taken online in just four semesters while the LVN is working.
What is a BSN?
The acronym BSN stands for Bachelor of Science in Nursing, and is, for all intents and purposes, the equivalent of a four-year college nursing degree. Individuals who possess a BSN degree typically earn better pay than RNs (in California, BSNs average over $80,000 per year according to www.BLS.gov) have more career opportunities in the nursing field, and hold a greater number of responsibilities (including, in many cases, supervising RNs and LVNs).
LVN to BSN Programs – How to Become a BSN
Regardless of whether you are currently an LVN or an RN, you can become a BSN by enrolling in and successfully completing an LVN to BSN bridge program. Admission requirements for most programs in California require students to be a currently licensed nurse or vocational nurse, have documented proof of at least one year of experience working as an LVN or RN, and be a graduate of an accredited LVN or RN program. Some programs carry additional requirements for letters of recommendation, minimum GPAs in previous coursework, and minimum scores on standardized entry exams.
Coursework in LVN to BSN programs lasts for four semesters (two years), and in California typically focuses on nursing theory and developing the student’s competencies through exposure to the latest research findings and techniques. Most programs also focus a good part of their curriculum on teaching skills that will enable the BSN to play the role of an administrator.
Upon completion of an accredited bridge program, the student is eligible to sit for the NCLEX-RN exam required for licensure as a Registered Nurse.
Online LVN to BSN Programs
Because the vast majority of students who enroll in bridge programs work full-time, it is extremely common for LVN to BSN programs to be offered online. Unlike standard online LVN programs in California, it is possible to complete all of the required coursework in a distance learning format.
Should You Become a BSN?
If you have previously worked in the nursing field as an LVN, you will surely hear conflicting advice on the topic of becoming a BSN. While it is true that your initial salary after earning your degree may not be much higher than an RN’s, over time, you will have the opportunity to advance far more easily than your colleagues who have not completed a BSN. With this advancement, naturally comes greater earning potential – not to mention more opportunity to craft the exact type of career you’ve always wanted.
The decision of whether or not to become a BSN is a personal one, and the added cost and commitment required to pursue a higher degree is not for everyone. You should consider, however, the fact that there is a growing sentiment in the health care industry for making BSN degrees a requirement for all RNs. Whether or not this will come to pass is uncertain, but what is certain is that enrolling today in LVN to BSN programs in California can put you in a great position to excel in professional nursing regardless of what the future holds.
Recommended LVN Programs in California!
As the largest private university in North America, University of Phoenix has locations nationwide, and is available online in most countries around the world. Whether you're seeking a college degree at an associate's, bachelor's, master's, or doctoral level, we can help you reach your academic goal and sooner than you might think.
- Licensed Practical Nurse/ Licensed Vocational Nurse to BSN
- Master of Science in Nursing/Nurse Education
- Master of Health Administration/Master of Business Administration/Project Management
- And more...
Your educational needs. Our commitment.
At Kaplan College, we create programs with our students’ needs in mind. Our goal is to empower you with the real-world knowledge you need to succeed beyond the classroom. We offer a variety of programs at 28 campuses across 7 states in various degree levels to help train you for entry-level employment in a variety of rewarding careers.
Founded in 1819, the University of Cincinnati (UC) has been categorized at the highest level of higher education: the Carnegie Commission (which evaluates the achievements of faculty, current research, leading edge curriculum, and accreditation) has recognized UC as a Doctoral/Research University — Extensive. Each year, this urban, public, nonprofit university graduates 5,000 students, adding to more than 200,000 living alumni around the world. The online programs connect students to a dynamic community of devoted educators, accessible research, and a dedicated support team.
- Master of Science in Nursing - Adult-Gero Primary Care Nurse Practitioner
- Master of Science in Nursing - Nurse-Midwifery
- Master of Science in Nursing - Womens Health Nurse Practitioner
- Why Earn Your Degree from GCU?
- Options: Choose from a variety of undergraduate and graduate degree programs in Business, Nursing, Psychology, Education & more!
- Convenience: Complete courses online, on campus, or a combination of both!
- Earlier Graduation: Our 4-credit courses allow you to complete your degree program in less time.
- Transfer Friendly: We will request your transcripts, evaluate your graduate coursework, and determine your anticipated graduation date within 24 hours.
- Quality: Grand Canyon University was founded in 1949 and is regionally accredited. Learn more today!
- Doctor of Nursing Practice
- B.S. in Nursing (Registered Nurse - R.N. to B.S.N)
- M.S. in Nursing: Health Care Informatics (Bridge)
- And more...
Nursing@Simmons, the innovative, online nursing degree program from Simmons School of Nursing and Health Sciences prepares Registered Nurses for the next stage of their careers.
You need to have a Bachelor’s degree and RN license to be qualified for this school.
- MSN - Family Nurse Practitioner
- RN to MSN - Family Nurse Practitioner
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN)
Established in 1897, Bradley University is a private, independent institution of higher learning in Peoria, Illinois. Inspired by our founder, notable philanthropist Lydia Moss Bradley, we pursue excellence in teaching, research, scholarship and service; and we celebrate leadership, integrity, diversity and collaborative learning. Today, we offer an impressive array of more than 130 undergraduate, graduate and continuing education programs across five colleges and the Graduate School.
- Online Master of Science in Nursing (BSN to MSN-FNP)
- Online Doctor of Nursing Practice - Family Nurse Practitioner Track (BSN to DNP)
- Online Doctor of Nursing Practice - Leadership Track (MSN to DNP)
- And more...
Accredited programs. Proven success.
American Sentinel University is focused on more than just positioning you for success in your career today-we’re committed to preparing you for tomorrow.
- MS Nursing - Case Management
- MS Nursing - Management and Organizational Leadership
- Doctor of Nursing Practice - Executive Leadership
Capella combines outstanding academics with a supportive faculty and staff in a program designed for working adults.
An education that blends theory and practice to fuel your career
- MSN - Nursing, General (CCNE-accredited)
- MSN - RN-to-MSN Nursing, General (CCNE-accredited)
- MSN - RN-to-MSN Nursing Informatics (CCNE-accredited)
- And more...