By gaining admittance to one of the accredited LVN to BSN programs in California, Licensed Vocational Nurses have the opportunity to advance their career prospects significantly. Not only does this prestigious degree qualify a vocational nurse to become a Registered Nurse, but it often guarantees that the nurse will be paid at the high end of the scale for RNs as well. Best of all, these popular transition programs can usually be taken online in just four semesters while the LVN is working.
What is a BSN?
The acronym BSN stands for Bachelor of Science in Nursing, and is, for all intents and purposes, the equivalent of a four-year college nursing degree. Individuals who possess a BSN degree typically earn better pay than RNs (in California, BSNs average over $80,000 per year according to www.BLS.gov) have more career opportunities in the nursing field, and hold a greater number of responsibilities (including, in many cases, supervising RNs and LVNs).
LVN to BSN Programs – How to Become a BSN
Regardless of whether you are currently an LVN or an RN, you can become a BSN by enrolling in and successfully completing an LVN to BSN bridge program. Admission requirements for most programs in California require students to be a currently licensed nurse or vocational nurse, have documented proof of at least one year of experience working as an LVN or RN, and be a graduate of an accredited LVN or RN program. Some programs carry additional requirements for letters of recommendation, minimum GPAs in previous coursework, and minimum scores on standardized entry exams.
Coursework in LVN to BSN programs lasts for four semesters (two years), and in California typically focuses on nursing theory and developing the student’s competencies through exposure to the latest research findings and techniques. Most programs also focus a good part of their curriculum on teaching skills that will enable the BSN to play the role of an administrator.
Upon completion of an accredited bridge program, the student is eligible to sit for the NCLEX-RN exam required for licensure as a Registered Nurse.
Online LVN to BSN Programs
Because the vast majority of students who enroll in bridge programs work full-time, it is extremely common for LVN to BSN programs to be offered online. Unlike standard online LVN programs in California, it is possible to complete all of the required coursework in a distance learning format.
Should You Become a BSN?
If you have previously worked in the nursing field as an LVN, you will surely hear conflicting advice on the topic of becoming a BSN. While it is true that your initial salary after earning your degree may not be much higher than an RN’s, over time, you will have the opportunity to advance far more easily than your colleagues who have not completed a BSN. With this advancement, naturally comes greater earning potential – not to mention more opportunity to craft the exact type of career you’ve always wanted.
The decision of whether or not to become a BSN is a personal one, and the added cost and commitment required to pursue a higher degree is not for everyone. You should consider, however, the fact that there is a growing sentiment in the health care industry for making BSN degrees a requirement for all RNs. Whether or not this will come to pass is uncertain, but what is certain is that enrolling today in LVN to BSN programs in California can put you in a great position to excel in professional nursing regardless of what the future holds.
Recommended LVN Programs in California!
Do you want to start working toward a career that actually makes you excited? If so, an education from West Coast University (WCU) could be the perfect choice for you! This accredited, private University has a history that dates back over 100 years. Today, WCU offers health care degrees that will help prepare you and educate you on the current trends and issues within the health industry.
- LVN to BSN
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing
- MSN Advanced Generalist (Online)
- Why study nursing at Grand Canyon University?
- Our bachelor’s and master’s degrees in nursing are CCNE-accredited and the College of Nursing and Health Care Professions (CONHCP) is approved by the Arizona State Board of Nursing.
- We provide many options to prepare you to begin or advance your nursing career, including bridge programs and dual degrees.
- GCU provides a low student-to-teacher ratio and a Christian environment that provides an opportunity for you to embrace a holistic approach to caring for patients.
- Request more information today about program offerings, CCNE accreditation, start dates, financial aid and more!
- M.S. in Nursing with an Emphasis in Leadership in Health Care Systems (Bridge)
- Doctor of Nursing Practice
- M.S. in Nursing: Health Care Informatics (Bridge)
- And more...
About Brightwood College
Brightwood College offers accelerated programs that combine flexible schedules and professional instruction to create a rewarding learning experience for individuals focused on gaining the skills for specific careers. Brightwood College is owned and operated by Education Corporation of America.
About Education Corporation of America
Education Corporation of America's institutions broaden access to postsecondary educational opportunities.
Founded in 1872, Maryville University is a four-year, private university located in west St. Louis County. Maryville University students may choose from 75+ academic programs, including degrees at the bachelor’s, master’s and doctoral levels.
- Online Bachelor of Science in Nursing to Doctor of Nursing Practice (BSN to DNP)-Adult-Gerontology Acute Care Nurse Practitioner (AGACNP)
- Online Master of Science in Nursing (MSN)
- Online Bachelor of Science in Nursing to Doctor of Nursing Practice (BSN to DNP)-Adult-Gerontology Primary Care Nurse Practitioner (AGPCNP)
Founded in 1766, Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey, is a leading national public research university and the state’s preeminent, comprehensive public institution of higher learning.
Home to more than 58,000 students from all 50 states and 125 different countries, Rutgers’ mission is to prepare students to become productive members of society and good citizens of the world. That’s made possible by a faculty and staff of over 13,000 members, which includes an Abel Prize winner, Guggenheim Fellows, MacArthur “Genius Award” Fellows, Pulitzer Prize winners, and many more.
- Online Bachelor of Science in Nursing
Founded in 1819, the University of Cincinnati (UC) has been categorized at the highest level of higher education: the Carnegie Commission (which evaluates the achievements of faculty, current research, leading edge curriculum, and accreditation) has recognized UC as a Doctoral/Research University — Extensive. Each year, this urban, public, nonprofit university graduates 5,000 students, adding to more than 200,000 living alumni around the world. The online programs connect students to a dynamic community of devoted educators, accessible research, and a dedicated support team.
- Master of Science in Nursing - Womens Health Nurse Practitioner
- Master of Science in Nursing - Nurse-Midwifery
- Master of Science in Nursing - Adult-Gero Primary Care Nurse Practitioner
Earn your graduate degree online with Northcentral University. We offer online programs focused on doctoral and master’s degrees in the schools of business and technology management, education, psychology and marriage and family sciences.
- Doctor of Education - Nursing Education
- Online Associate Degree to Master Degree Nursing program
- Online Bachelor Degree to Master Degree Nursing program
Established in 1897, Bradley University is a private, independent institution of higher learning in Peoria, Illinois. Inspired by our founder, notable philanthropist Lydia Moss Bradley, we pursue excellence in teaching, research, scholarship and service; and we celebrate leadership, integrity, diversity and collaborative learning. Today, we offer an impressive array of more than 130 undergraduate, graduate and continuing education programs across five colleges and the Graduate School.
- Online Doctor of Nursing Practice - Leadership Track (MSN to DNP)
- Online Master of Science in Nursing (BSN to MSN-FNP)
- Online Doctor of Nursing Practice - Family Nurse Practitioner Track (BSN to DNP)
- And more...
Designed with the needs of working adult students in mind, South University, Online Programs is built on the similar curriculum offered at South University's campus locations. As a student at South University, Online Programs you will receive the same quality instruction, variety of learning options and level of service found at the campus locations.
- Nursing (RN to BSN)
- RN to Master of Science in Nursing with a specialization in Family Nurse Practitioner (RN-MSN)
- RN to Master of Science in Nursing with a specialization in Adult-Gerontology Primary Care Nurse Practitioner (RN-MSN)
- And more...